Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fall Fun!

There are so many underrated things to celebrate in the fall! At the end of September, we celebrated the life of Johnny Chapman (a.k.a. Johnny Appleseed). Shaunna and I divided the kids into six groups. For the entire morning, the six groups rotated between both of our classrooms to complete six different centers. This day would not have been a hit without Shaunna's great ideas and the freebies on Teacher's Pay Teachers. (Warning: This post contains lots of links to other sites and downloads that are all FREE! These are in white print, so just click on them!)
Here's what the 6 centers consisted of:
 1) Johnny Appleseed Roll and Graph


 2) Johnny Appleseed word search
 3) Appleseed Addition/Apple Patterns


 4) Apple Tasting (At this station, the students learned the specific names for apples and created a mini book. Whenever a student brings an apple for snack or lunch, they all try to figure out what kind it is!)
 5) Apple Chip/Crockpot Applesauce Making
 6) Apple Tree Sequencing (students had to put in order the stages of an apple tree's life and glue them onto a long strip of construction paper)

Earlier in the week during writing groups, I had the students fill out the first two sections of a K-W-L chart in their journals. This was our first time using these. At first the students were EXTREMELY confused, but once I showed them a sample, it all clicked! This also gave me a better understanding of how in-depth they studied Johnny Appleseed in Kindergarten. For the "L" section (what they LEARNED), several students wrote that Johnny Appleseed had a servant's heart. I thought that was just too sweet!


For handwriting practice, I gave each student a set of apple jokes. The students had to copy it in their best handwriting on Johnny Appleseed paper and draw a comic to go with it.
Naturally, most of the students chose this joke to write and illustrate:
What do you call an apple with tummy problems?
(A tooty fruity!) 
I gave them the option of flipping the page upside down and then writing the answer so their readers wouldn't be able to read it right away... anything to trick someone else and they are all for it! 

We also marked spots on the map that were important to Johnny Appleseed's life. Things like where he was born, where he died, where he planted apple trees, etc. Each student was given their own map and had to draw a specific color apple on the state where the events took place. It involved a lot of direction following, so it was rather difficult for some students!!!  

As a time filler and during our morning meeting, we played,"Where's Johnny?" The students LOVED it and I loved that it got them practicing their sight words! (There's also an alphabet version available if you teach younger kiddos!) It took a little bit of time to prep after I added cardstock and laminated the cards to make them more durable, but I keep reminding myself that all of this prep will pay off next year and the year after when I use them again! After all of the cards are cut out, all you need is a pocket chart, pointer, and you're ready to go!


This past week, we had parent teacher conferences. Here are some things that I prepared to show parents in addition to samples of their child's work.

For each student, I created this small form for areas in which the student "glows" and areas the student could "grow" in. 
(I found this idea on wardswayofteaching.blogspot.com and revamped it to fit my class' needs!)  

With the help of a parent volunteer, we tested all of the students on the primer, pre-primer, and 1st grade Dolch sight words. I hope to test them several times this year to check for improvement.

After showing parents their child's assessment, I gave them their own Dolch Sight Word List to practice with at home.



While parents waited for their child's conference, they had the opportunity to play a little game! 

Each picture is fastened on with a brad. Parents could swivel the picture to reveal the name of the first grader! It took me a little bit of time to make this, but I had so much fun doing it! Seeing the students get so excited about having their mom or dad guess was too cute! 
(I saw this idea before I even started teaching and knew I had to create something similar!) 

I'm in the process of planning a Veteran's Day unit for social studies before we jump into the history behind the first thanksgiving. November is going to be very full, but very fun! I'm going home in less than two weeks for my cousin's wedding and I'm beyond excited to see my dog and family! Before we know it, the semester will be over and we'll be celebrating Christmas...I just can't believe it!!! 

Have a wonderful 2nd day of November! 









No comments:

Post a Comment