Monday, June 8, 2015

First {full} Year: COMPLETE

There's so much I wanted to share with you over the last several months, but just didn't make time to blog about it. So, in this post I will give you some highlights and favorite memories of my first year of teaching in no particular order!


The 100th day of School!
I think I was more excited for this day then the students were! A couple of weeks prior to the 100th day, I sent home a letter informing the first graders and their families that we had received a challenge from Evil Dr. Double Digit. He challenged us to complete 10 tasks. If we did not successfully complete those tasks, the world would be stuck in the double digits forever! The first task Evil Dr. Double Digit gave us was to make a superhero cape decorated with 100 items of our choice.
Accompanying the note was also a cape made from Dollar Tree plastic table cloths. We had two 1st grade classes with a total of 36 students. Each table cloth made 6 capes and then I hot glued ribbon so the students could tie the cape. So, the total cost for the cape project was less than $10! Students also had the choice of using their own cape as well.

To start the day, we had a superhero fashion show to show off our 100 item capes! 

I saw this idea on pinterest used at a superhero themed birthday and I thought it would be PERFECT! Anyone who walked by my classroom as I was taking photos must of thought - what in the world is she up to now?! I was up on a ladder directing students how to pose, telling my four corner holders which way to pull the sheet, and thinking to myself - DON'T FALL OFF THIS LADDER! Later, these photos were put into their end of the year portfolios/scrapbooks to remember this exciting day!


Chinese New Year!
I mentioned in one of my Friday newsletters that we would soon begin learning about the Chinese New Year in social studies. The following week, a parent approached me and said her sister was hosting two foreign exchange students and wanted to know if I would like them to visit our classroom. I don't think she had the question out of her mouth before I answered, "YES!!!!" So, a week or so later high school students from the Beijing area came with food, treats, and two engaging presentations for the first graders. These girls were AWESOME!



National Lutheran School's Week
I loved this week growing up and I loved it just as much as a teacher! We had a pajama day with an all school movie showing in the gym, picnic lunch day, Hawaiian day, a pep assembly... it was a BUSY week and I loved every moment of it! Oh, and the 100th day of school fell during this week as well! 
For NLSW, an email was sent home to parents telling them there was a contest put on by our district's LCEF wanting nominations of teachers they thought deserved recognition. A very sweet hearted parent wrote in to the contest about me and I won $250 in visa giftcards! I was BLOWN away. As the LCEF representative read the letter she wrote about me during staff devotions, it took every ounce of me not to tear up. Those kind words will mean more to me than that parent will ever know. 


Valentine's Day
My Christmas party was not nearly as organized as I thought it would be. In fact, in my mind, it was pure chaos! So, I challenged myself to make the Valentine's Day party go more smoothly. And it did! (My mom was visiting that week so I think that played a big factor in how smooth it went too!) I planned a fun valentine's day snack and a variety of Minute to Win It games! I have never seen a group of 6 and 7 year olds so focused and determined than during those games. It was INCREDIBLE.
The kiddos had a minute to transfer as many M&Ms from one cup to the other using only a straw.

The Last Day of School
I knew I was going to cry, but I figured it would be at dismissal. Oh no, I was very wrong. It happened when the first student walked through the door and handed me a letter and picture he had made. Then, the next student did the same thing. Then, the next! After about ten pictures and letters had come in, a parent brought me a binder to put the letters in---such a cool idea! The third student to bring me a letter, also brought me flowers. He was accompanied by his mom who started tearing up as she thanked me for the wonderful year her child had...that's when the full on ugly crying started. Thankfully she was a teacher at another school and understood how I was feeling! As I write this post and think about the last day, all I can do is laugh at myself as I was all aboard the hot mess express that day. I'm also thankful that we were dismissed at 11:30 and not 2:55! I can't imagine what I would have been like if it had been a full day!


"...I don't want to leav but I haf to so I can learn more..."

Precious.


This one was a big tear jerker...
This tree is to add fingerprints to at the end of every school year! My students were SO excited to give it to me and were telling me that eventually I might have to make a pile of leaves on the ground and that each class could be a different color.This is a gift I will cherish forever.
(Side note: It's much larger than this picture portrays it!)

What a blessing this year has been! My heart is so full of love and thankfulness for this class of 19 students who in all honestly might have taught me more than I taught them.

No comments:

Post a Comment